Fwd: [chandler-users] Recommendations for Web Forums?

Fritz Meissner meissner.fritz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 14:50:26 PDT 2008

Mimi,
I'm not sure what features you particularly want, but I frequent two forums
quite a lot : one is Windows hosted and uses dotNetBB, the other is the
Ubuntu user forum which uses vBulletin (cross-platform using PHP and MySQL).
The Ubuntu forum is very heavy traffic, and vBulletin seems to cope fine and
offer just about every feature I can think of (including tagging). dotNetBB
has most things, but the search function is really dysfunctional. Both of
these are commercial software, although the price of vBulletin is pretty
nominal. dotNetBB hasn't had an update in quite a long time AFAIK; it was a
one man show, which has now been sold to another company, so there may be
more development happening in future.

The fact that the Ubuntu people have not gone for  FOSS for their forums,
makes me suspect that there isn't a capable FOSS option for this - I assume
they would have gone that route if possible.

Fritz