[chandler-users] What's the difference between 'remove' and 'delete'

Eugene Eric Kim eekim at blueoxen.com
Wed Aug 27 09:22:48 PDT 2008

Hi Jeffrey,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Jeffrey Harris
<jeffrey at osafoundation.org> wrote:
>> Incidentally, I noticed that Delete moves items to the Trash, but
>> removing an item that is only in one collection does not. This is
>> probably a bug, although I'll wait to hear confirmation before I
>> submit it.
>
> We've gone back and forth on this, most recently we've settled on the
> Dashboard counting as a collection.  That means if you have an item in a
> "include in dashboard" collection, removing that item from the last
> non-dashboard collection leaves the item in the dashboard.
>
> I can't remember why we did it that way now, that may not be the ideal
> behavior, but if it's a bug, it's at least intentional :)

Won't file it, then. :-)

On the one hand, this feels intuitively wrong to me, as I think of the
Dashboard as an aggregation of items, not a collection in and of
itself. I never think of adding items solely to the Dashboard, for
example.

On the other hand, I only use Remove when an item belongs in multiple
collections, and I use Delete all other times, so this doesn't affect
me either way. Plus, I never look in Trash. *knock on wood*

=Eugene