[chandler-users] more timezones info

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Tue Aug 19 08:14:14 PDT 2008

Grant Baillie wrote:
> Hi, Paul
>
> #3 is a known issue, and I'm guessing #1 is happening because Chandler
> is resetting your timezone to what the operating system reports. I'm a
> little confused, though -- how is US/Eastern different from America/New
> York?

Thanks, Grant, for your help diagnosing.

I don't believe that US/Eastern and America/New York are different--
both should be GMT-5 during regular time and GMT-4 during daylight
saving time.

However, I had some problems early on where I think I had mixed
them.. one of my clients was set differently than the other two.

At any rate, I can't seem to determine the set of circumstances in
which Chandler just displays the time in local time and the set of
circumstances in which it displays the Time-1h GMT-5:00. I was
excited this morning when I noticed that it seemed to happen at the
same time as the DB reload. Maybe the dump saves items in a
particular timezone and doesn't keep track of the timezone in which
they were created? So when they get reloaded they might show up
differently?

It sounds like I'm going to need to create a test server and client
and really try a sequence of simple experiments to tease out this
bad behavior.

- P