[chandler-users] sub-collections

Mimi Yin mimi at osafoundation.org
Fri Aug 15 08:38:29 PDT 2008

Hi Adam,

Yes! There is a clear need for sub-collections. Or to put it more
generally, more flexible ways to categorize and browse information.

At the same time, I think it's important that the sidebar remain a
lightweight way to orient yourself by Context / Area of
Responsibility (e.g. Home, Students, Course Work, Book Club, etc). In
the past we've talked about adding 1 layer of hierarchy in the
sidebar to more fully support this need.

But I agree that Chandler needs to expand to provide a way to
categorize data and then browse that data by those categories. But
I'm not sure hierarchy in the sidebar is the best way to support this
need. I think something akin to the iTunes browser would be better
suited to the task of browsing data by attribute. However, instead of
Album Title, Artist and Genre. You might have Programme, Pathway,
Timeframe and Module. Someone else might have Owner, Project,
Department and Quarter.

It would also be cool to have a "shortcuts bar" or "bookmarks bar"
where you can quickly define a rule:
(Programme: Graphic Arts)x(Timeframe: Semester 1) and save it as a
shortcut so you have 1-click access to views you need to access
often. (You could also use it to save searches.)

So there would be 3 distinct interface-affordances, each optimized
for serving a different user need:
1. A Sidebar for orienting yourself in terms of high-level Contexts
and Areas of Responsibility
2. A Category or Attribute Browser for browsing your data
3. A Shortcuts bar for quick access to "saved" queries

Now that I've sketched out the "ideal" design, which of course
requires a lot of work, what remains is figuring out how to stage
such work so that users can get their hands on the functionality,
test it out and provide feedback without having to wait for the whole
enchilada.

Mimi