[chandler-users] Alarms beating sync!

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Thu Aug 14 16:11:34 PDT 2008

Davor Cubranic wrote:
>> Is there any way around this? Something that blindly applied all
>> pending changes would even be fine for me. Or some way to keep the
>> alarms from triggering before the first sync.
>
> I use Chandler very similarly to Paul and regularly suffer from the same
> issue. I think what would really fix this issue (as opposed to papering
> over the bug with "resolve all conflicts" menu action) is if Chandler
> could distinguish between actions that it did automatically at a certain
> time vs. a consequence of the user's action.
>
> In Paul's example, when the second Chandler moves the item to NOW
> because of its due date or alarm and then syncs to find a conflict with
> the same item set to LATER because a user changed the due date earlier
> on, the remote change should automatically override the local one.
>
> I'm not sure how feasible this would be to implement, but I do believe a
> better resolution of these kinds of "fake" conflicts is important to the
> user experience with Chandler Desktop.

I agree, Davor. I was looking for the very quick fix, but it seems like
the elegant and correct solution involves either detecting that it was
an automated change not done by a user or detecting that it was
performed by a user "sharing with himself".

I like your suggestion (the former) better because it doesn't require
sharing with yourself to be a special case. It seems to me that in the
interest of purity of design, Chandler should treat "sharing with
oneself" as special case only when absolutely necessary. I suspect it
will sometimes be necessary-- but maybe this isn't one of those times.

Thanks for your input!

- P