[chandler-users] email

Rick Rawson rer1 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 14 06:33:58 PDT 2008

My experience with Chandler email:

My message will be of limited use in troubleshooting problems with
email, but might be of some encouragement, since the recent spate of
emails might suggest that Chandler email is the Achilles heal that will
deep-six the whole effort.

I have been using email in Chandler for ~6 months and have never had a
problem. Setup was smooth and trouble free. Emails come into Chandler
without dups and, as far as I know, I never miss one. I use Thunderbird
v2.0 and my university is my ISP. My colleague has had the same experience.

In Thunderbird, if I manually move an email into my Chandler IMAP
folder, then Chandler will reflect that move after I SYNC. If I access
my email using my browser, rather than Thunderbird, and move email into
my Chandler IMAP folder, then Chandler will reflect that move after I
SYNC, as well. In other words, Chandler email works as expected.

One behavior that is a little unexpected is that if I move an email OUT
of my Chandler IMAP folder, via either Thunderbird or my browser app,
Chandler will retain that email in its InBox. Similarly, if I delete an
email from WITHIN Chandler, that deletion is not reflected in my IMAP
folder after SYNCing.

It seems that Chandler _imports_ email from my IMAP folder, but does not
truly _synchronize_ the contents of its own InBox with the IMAP folder.

Rick