[chandler-users] First impressions and a feature request

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Fri Dec 7 22:24:25 PST 2007

Xavier Maillard wrote:
> and free software developper. I red an article about Chandler Desktop on
> the french linux website[1] and I took time to test latest release.

I think you forgot to add the link at the end.

> indispensable tool such as a Palm sync.
> People are asking why you do not rely on funambol to achieve such task

We've considered syncing to mobile devices, and we'd love to have
support for it. However, the mobile space is very fractured, although
something like Funambol could help. It is very much a question about
resources. This would be a perfect project for someone familiar with the
mobile sync space to contribute to Chandler. *hint* ;)

> Congratulations for the project and all the best for the future.

Thanks!

> By the way, do you think it could be easy to have a "portable" version
> of the Desktop part and the Server part too ?

Currently the Chandler desktop client is too resource heavy to run on
any mobile device. Devices need to get an order of magnitude faster. The
server is closer to reality, because mobile browsers have actually
become usable. What we'd need here is someone to test the server against
mobile devices, file bugs, and ideally fix those bugs.

Chandler Desktop can already be made to run from a USB memory stick,
iPod or similar.

--
  Heikki Toivonen