[Chandler-dev] Auto-update questions

Keith Winsor kjwstuff at btopenworld.com
Wed Jun 11 01:27:23 PDT 2008

Andi Vajda wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2008, at 4:53 PM, Grant Baillie <grant at osafoundation.org>
> wrote:
>> Is it OK to put up a dialog at startup (or, soon after startup)? I
>> ask because we've been generally trying to reduce the number of
>> dialogs at startups, of course. I'm also planning, as part of fixing
>> the above bug, "remembering" (i.e. recording in backup.chex) the
>> user's preference here.
Not strictly a response to this, but an observation...

I've just come back from a week's holiday and opened up Chandler on my
'big' PC (XP, 3.4 GHz dual core, 4Gb RAM: should have enough resources
for Chandler ;-) ). After a normal start-up, I got simultaneously an
event alarm, an 'update is available' pop-up and a 'Chandler needs to
compact the repository' dialogue box. Unfortunately, it couldn't seem to
decide which one had the focus, and ignored any attempt to OK or cancel
the messages. In the end I walked away after five minutes and, an hour
later, normal service had resumed.

I'm not sure how you could resolve this, but maybe some thought needs to
be given as to when popups fire. The more events occurring "at startup
(or, soon after startup)", the worse this is likely to get.

All the best,

Keith