[chandler-dev] New here, failing to change mainblocks.py

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Mon Dec 15 07:48:19 PST 2008

Hi, Edwin

It's not clear exacctly what might be going on here, partly because
I'm not sure what you mean by "does not work". A couple of guesses:

1) Based on the missing .pyo file, maybe there's some syntax problem
with your python changes. In this case you could run something like:

.\release\RunPython.bat -c 'import osaf.views.main.mainblocks'

This should show the line number and an error message.

2) If you make changes in mainblocks.py, you will usually need to
rebuild your repository:

- If you have data you don't want to lose, you should make sure it has
been backed up when you last quit (or use the File >> Export >>
Chandler Data to .chex File menu).
- Immediately after you launch Chandler, hold down the <Control> key
until you get the "Start-up Options for Chandler" dialog. Choose
"Discard all my data and start with a fresh repository".

If neither of these helps, let us know more specifically what's not
working. Some clues may be in the file chandler.log, in your profile
directory, which you can get to via these instructions:

http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/ProfileDirectory

--Grant