[Chandler-dev] Building Chander 1.0 on Ubuntu Hardy AMD64

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Fri Aug 15 10:15:39 PDT 2008

Hi, Paul

I believe that to build for 64 bit, you would have to build (or maybe
download from openjdk.java.net somewhere) an openjdk-7. I'm pretty
sure there are bugs in openjdk-6 that will cause Chandler to crash, so
we're sort of stuck with the newer version.

In general, I would love to have the ability to build Chandler's
dependencies as .deb or .rpm packages, possibly via a build service. A
while back, when OSAF had a large paid developer staff, we looked into
doing this, c.f.:

http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/UbuntuHardyHeronChandler

(I think that page was written before we had an openjdk dependency, so
that should be added).

I'd love to hear from people who have Linux build/packaging knowledge
and want to help make this happen. I have some experience working with
dpkg for creating our Gutsy .deb, but I'm unsure how to handle cases
where we're using more recent or patched versions of the packaged
version of various projects (like openjdk, wxPython, for example).

--Grant