[Chandler-dev] Google CalDAV blues

Jeffrey Harris jeffrey at osafoundation.org
Fri Aug 8 19:15:25 PDT 2008

Hi Folks,

I built a 1.0-caldav branch, with my updates to Chandler's code to make
CalDAV work with Chandler.

On the plus side, that process was pretty easy (thanks, Jared and Grant).

On the downside, I downloaded to test it and discovered that Google's
CalDAV implementation has regressed.  Now the ETag they return for a
PROPFIND is different from the ETag they return for a GET.

Which means, currently Chandler re-syncs every one of your events, every
time.  This is bad.  So bad, in fact, that I'm not thinking we should
push our Google <-> CalDAV code until/if we work around that.  We could
work around it somewhat by checking etags twice, once against the
initial PROPFIND, but *also* checking when we do a GET.

Or, better, maybe Google will fix their bug, I filed it on the (new to
me) bug tracker:

http://code.google.com/p/google-caldav-issues/issues/

Sincerely,
Jeffrey