[Chandler-dev] Chandler Desktop Releases

Dan Steinicke dan at osafoundation.org
Mon Sep 24 10:38:03 PDT 2007

Philippe Bossut wrote:

> Proposal and points of contention:
> - Release once a month: some proposed 6 weeks (4 weeks dev time, 2
> weeks debug stabilization) but the idea is that we work under an
> evergreen trunk policy so we don't destabilize trunk, also a monthly
> release makes it easier to punt something to the next release (users
> won't have to wait too long) than a 6 weeks cycle.
It seems like the above statement assumes that a green tinderbox status
== the trunk is stable.  I don't think our tests are comprehensive
enough for that to be 100% true.   Certainly as we approached 0.7
release there were a number of bugs indicating instability  which were
not causing tinderbox tests to consistently fail.

Maybe the tinderbox test are good enough for us to act like this is true
(and hopefully the tests will continue to get better).  If we decide to
go forward with this plan I think we should understand we are accepting
a lower standard for what a stable trunk is.

-Dan