[Chandler-dev] conflict dialog strings

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Mon Oct 22 14:11:43 PDT 2007

On 22 Oct, 2007, at 14:03, Reid Ellis wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2007, at 16:43, bear wrote:
>> Reid Ellis wrote:
>>> Maybe I could change 'em' and '/em' to "startItalics" and
>>> "endItalics". The actual value for the strings currently known as
>>> "em" and "/em" cannot be edited (they aren't surrounded by _() -
>>> nor should they be). I have to embed these into the string, since
>>> the location of the emphasized text can move, depending on the
>>> locale. Perhaps I could use the names
>>> "untranslateableStartItalicsCode" and
>>> "untranslateableEndItalicsCode"?
>>
>> If they are HTML tag names then I'm sure it can be explained in
>> the localization README about what they are.  They should stay the
>> same as HTML tags are always in english.  Changing to something
>> else removes the ability, IMO, of the translator switching the tag
>> to another tag that may be more appropriate for the locale.
>
> They're not actual HTML tags, they're binary codes embedded into
> the string, which are later parsed so as to do proper styles.

If I were doing that, I would use a format like:

	"%(index)3d. %(person)s changed the %(fieldName)s to %(value)s"

and embed the "tags" inside person, fieldName and value, i.e. do

      _("%(index)3d ... %(value)") % {
           'person': "<em>%s</em>" % person,
           'fieldName': "<em>%s</em>" % fieldName,
       }

That should make it clearer for localizers, I think.

--Grant