[Chandler-dev] conflict dialog strings

Reid Ellis rae at osafoundation.org
Mon Oct 22 13:34:20 PDT 2007

Brian mentioned at the i18n meeting that translators were having
trouble with the conflict dialog's strings. Specifically, the ones
that look like this:
	%(index)3d. %(em)s%(person)s%(/em)s changed the %(em)s%(fieldName)s%
(/em)s to %(em)s%(value)s%(/em)s

This is for displaying a list of conflicts, with parts of the text
being emphasized (thus the names "em" and "/em"). I can certainly
change "index" to "conflictNumber". The "em" and "/em" strings are
harder. I am guessing the localizers are not HTML folk. :-)

Maybe I could change 'em' and '/em' to "startItalics" and
"endItalics". The actual value for the strings currently known as
"em" and "/em" cannot be edited (they aren't surrounded by _() - nor
should they be). I have to embed these into the string, since the
location of the emphasized text can move, depending on the locale.
Perhaps I could use the names "untranslateableStartItalicsCode" and
"untranslateableEndItalicsCode"?

Reid