[Chandler-dev] Improving the migration experience

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Fri Oct 19 17:16:53 PDT 2007

bear wrote:
> Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>> bear wrote:
>>> actually the package systems allow for pre and post install steps where
>>>  we can run export routines (in the pre) and then run import routines in
>>> the post install.
>>
>> Yes, but that means needing to scan the disk to find the repositories.
>> Devious users can place the repositories *anywhere*.
>
> not if they use the official package manager to install - both debian
> and ubuntu have set locations for user related content managed by apps.
>
> and if a user has mucked about with it, then the check will find nothing
> and they will be hosed like any power-user mucking about with a system :)

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I don't think a
packaged Chandler would in any way limit what the user can pass in for
--profileDir.

For Windows and Mac (and Linux if users manually manage Chandler
install) we can make it work the way Reid suggested. For packaged
systems I think you would be required to scan the disk for
__repository__ directories. If you wanted to limit that to
/home/*/.chandler that would be a possibility, but users who placed
their repositories elsewhere would be pretty unhappy after an upgrade.

--
  Heikki Toivonen