[Chandler-dev] [Sum] The Great Architecture Discussion of 2007

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Oct 15 22:00:01 PDT 2007

At 05:31 PM 10/15/2007 -0700, Katie Capps Parlante wrote:
>It would be nice to have a path to:
>- item history (though as PJE points out, this could be modeled directly)
>- end user modification of the schema (in a limited way -- end user
>adding fields to stamps, for example)

...which can also be modelled directly, as a "user fields" extension,
in the new "extensible items" model that Grant and I have designed
for stamping.  In fact, you could write a plugin to do it.

>What would we be losing?
>- Persistence of every aspect of the UI in the repository, block by block
>- UI objects (and possibly assorted other lower-case-i-items)
>looking indistinguishable from user-content-items, generically
>editable from a generic UI

These aren't actually lost *permanently*, either.  As with item
history and user fields, they can simply be modelled directly, as
plugins atop the new set of primitives.