[Chandler-dev] Network installer/launcher for Leopard

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Thu Oct 11 11:32:53 PDT 2007

Andi Vajda wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>> Also Debian-based distributions especially have gotten the dependencies
>> down something excellent. We already have a .deb installer for Chandler
>> but it lists just a couple of dependencies. On Gutsy Gibbon we could
>> perhaps go with system Python as well.
>
> We should move the build to this model on Ubuntu Linux first, where
> there is a decent package system - no such thing on leopard by default.

I am not sure I follow you. Exactly because Leopard does not have
package system I proposed the easy_install model. On Ubuntu we should
NOT do easy_install, because this should be covered by the package
system (unless easy_install somehow invoked the package manager on
Ubuntu). Yes, there really are python-m2crypto, python-thisandthat packages.

> We could check if users have some java runtime installed already. That
> way, we wouldn't ship openjdk on Ubuntu, for example. The same applies
> to python, openssl, icu, and might apply soon to Berkeley DB if my
> patches are in the latest version. The python modules we could install
> as eggs are rather small when compared to this large non-egg systems.

The problem is that there are many Java runtimes for Ubuntu (and other
Linux systems). We could easily build against one, and make it a
dependency, but it would suck for users who have some other Java
installed already as they would then have two Java runtimes.

> Another approach to making download size smaller, is to leverage the
> Java Runtime we use for Lucene already for other systems. There exists a
> version of ICU in Java and the JRE already includes large portions of
> it. We may not need to ship ICU at all anymore if we wrapped PyICU with
> JCC around the Java Runtime instead. The same goes for m2crypto, the
> Java Runtime has support for SSL and certs too.

Gutsy comes with the ICU version we need, and has newer BerkeleyDB which
might work for us. M2Crypto is still at 0.17 (we need 0.18), but this is
due to the Debian packager not upgrading yet (haven't heard anything
from him so dunno what is going on). Bet most of the packages we need
would be usable by us as is.

I don't agree that adding more dependencies to Java would be a good
thing. While PyLucene are JCC are cool, I would be much happier if we
didn't need to do it.

--
  Heikki Toivonen