[Chandler-dev] [Sum] The Great Architecture Discussion of 2007

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Oct 10 13:27:58 PDT 2007

At 11:11 AM 10/10/2007 -0700, Philippe Bossut wrote:
>I'm not questioning your track record and I didn't present the whole
>pictures of the people involved in the failing projects either (they
>also had a successful track record internally before taking over
>their own major overhaul projects). I'd say that, regardless of the
>track record of the people involved, management should be wary and
>track the progress of a project of that magnitude correctly.

Of course.  I was mainly pointing out that my track record with
Chandler largely *consists* of "major overhaul projects" -- and most
of them have been based, one way or another, on implementing portions
of my overall architecture vision for Chandler, first documented in
early 2005.  (As has been all my greenfield work.)

You could say we've been already been doing the refactoring in
piecemeal fashion over the last two years.  We've just run out of
pieces that can easily be done on a one-off basis.

Anyway, since we agree on the need for visibility and accountability,
there's no sense dragging this on further.  I'm just trying to
reassure you that I do in fact know what I'm doing.  If you ask
Grant, he'll tell you how quickly I'll cut off unproductive threads
of design discussion and fall back to simpler or less ambitious
approaches.  Design as well as implementation, should be a
risk-ordered process with fail-safes always in place, so that one is
never left without a seat when the music stops.  :)