[Chandler-dev] [Sum] The Great Architecture Discussion of 2007

D John Anderson john at osafoundation.org
Tue Oct 9 15:34:54 PDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Grant Baillie wrote:

> On 9 Oct, 2007, at 12:48, Andi Vajda wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Philippe Bossut wrote:
>>
>>> Also, one could think about addressing performance and
>>> scalability at the repo level, without changing the whole
>>> architecture.
>>
>> While Chandler was developed with an infinitely scalable and
>> infinitely fast repository in mind, it might be time to let
>> reality sink in. The repository has come a long way in terms of
>> performance and could still be improved, for sure, but coulddn't
>> one think about addressing performance and scalability at the app
>> level as well, without changing the whole repository architecture ?
>
> Well, one can think about anything, so sure :). But as things
> stand, there isn't really an "app level" to speak of: The
> repository is intertwined with everything, and its API shapes the
> app layer in ways that aren't always so effective. (The current
> indexing situation is one concrete example).

Hmm. I think the repository is pretty separate from the app. For
example, it would be pretty easy to replace the repository as long as
the replacement had a similar API. Changing the API would be a
problem if the replacement didn't provide the necessary features the
app used. It's hard to imagine any data access mechanism whose API
would not affect the code that used the API. Of course, we could
probably improve the API.

The last time I looked into performance, the problems I saw were due
to notification storms and in those cases it was pretty clear most of
the notifications weren't actually necessary.