[Chandler-dev] Performance, Scalability

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Tue Oct 9 13:03:05 PDT 2007

Katie Capps Parlante wrote:
> Grant Baillie wrote:
>> Performance, Scalability
>> ------------------------
>>
>> *Open Issue*: (Grant, Andi, Brian K) Unclear what the goals are w.r.t.
>> email beyond what we have today. Need measurements of how Chandler
>> performs in the presence of many items (and/or collections), as well as
>> explicit performance goals.

One thing I believe we should explore at some point would be to see how
multiple cores can help performance. It won't help with our current
reference hardware, though.

This page lists several possible solutions for dividing work to multiple
processes: http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=106&thread=214303

My favorite (without actually using any of them), is the processing
module, because it seems like in the simplest cases you could switch
from threads to processes by a simple change of import statement.

--
  Heikki Toivonen