[Chandler-dev] Performance, Scalability

Katie Capps Parlante capps at osafoundation.org
Mon Oct 8 20:59:51 PDT 2007

Grant Baillie wrote:
 > Performance, Scalability
 > ------------------------
 >
 > *Open Issue*: (Grant, Andi, Brian K) Unclear what the goals are w.r.t.
 > email beyond what we have today. Need measurements of how Chandler
 > performs in the presence of many items (and/or collections), as well as
 > explicit performance goals.

As it stands right now, one of the possible strategic paths is to handle
email in a first class way. At the very least, I think we want to have a
plausible path for Chandler to be able to handle a real mailbox. I want
to have a better idea what it would take to get there (from a
performance and scalability perspective) so that we can make reasonable
decisions about that path.

For calendaring performance, we used Mitch's data as a reference point.
(That is how we arrived at the original 3k event calendar). If we again
use Mitch as a reference point, adding task/notes and mail:

Tasks/notes:
~ 500 tasks
~ 1750 notes

Mail messages:
112,549 messages total (~500MB)
~ 61,000 archived messages
~ 6400 messages in inbox
~ 100 folders

And don't forget the calendar:
3000+

I'm sure we'll find many people with fewer messages and tasks, and
people with larger mailboxes. For a concrete example to focus on, I
think Mitch's case is a good one to expand the performance/scalability
ambitions for Chandler.

For now, we'll stick with the same target hardware:
http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/PerformanceProject#Target%20Hardware

We're looking for reasonable end user response times on the target
hardware (keeping in mind that the PPC mac will be a bit slower, and the
intel mac has the advantage of more memory).

Next steps?

Cheers,
Katie