[Chandler-dev] 0.7.1 BRANCHING TONIGHT!

Aparna Kadakia aparna at osafoundation.org
Wed Oct 3 13:54:35 PDT 2007

I'd like to call out the QA impact and process to be followed
thereby, in light of the shorter release cycles. This specifically
applies to 0.7.x releases and not big feature releases like 0.8 or 1.0.

1. Till the record/scripting framework gets stable and we are able to
add substantial automated tests to the new framework, most of the
testing will continue to be manual. We will rely heavily on
developers writing more unit tests for bug fixes and features being
checked in.
2. Be sure to run unit tests and functional tests to make sure your
checkins don't cause any regressions. Tinderboxes staying green is
crucial to this process.
3. Code review and bug numbers associated with checkins are still in
effect.
4. Given the shorter bandwidth of the QA team, we will not be able to
do a full-blown testing cycle for each release, meaning we won't be
going thru' all the test cases from  the test specs on every
platform. The plan is the following:
     a) Run acceptance tests on all platforms
     b) verify bugs fixed in the release
     c) if there are significant bug fixes related to a single
component in the application, then we will likely run thru all the
test cases for that component. For e.g. if we rework the triage table
view for a specific 0.7.x release, then we will run thru all the
testcases from the Dashboard spec for that release.
     c) once a release candiate is handed to QA, we will do daily IRC
bug fests  (or on alternate days as may be the need).
     d) continue using the application internally for all of our
scheduling and task management needs.

Lastly, to reiterate what Philippe said, if you are unsure about the
riskiness of your fix, please err on the side of caution. QA won't
likely be going thru all test scenarios in each release.

If you have any other ideas on how we could enhance our testing scope
or make it more efficient, let me know.

Thanks
Aparna