[Chandler-dev] Switching to latest Visual Studio?

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Wed May 2 09:49:30 PDT 2007

We ordered some new Tinderbox hardware, and already have koa and mana
running. We have new faster disks for the PPC Macs, but these are still
waiting for some additional hardware before they can be installed.
Finally, we have hilo (Windows XP) waiting to start duty as full build
Tinderbox, but we run into a problem: we can't find the installation
media for Visual Studio .NET Professional.

Microsoft no longer sells Visual Studio 2003 version. It might be
available from resellers. In any case, there is a newer version of
Visual Studio available, and traditionally new versions have brought
significant improvements both in compiler and other tools. Now there is
also the potential added benefit that developers might be able to use
the free MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition and we'd do the official
builds with a version that lets us distribute the msvc DLLs (I tried to
figure out how to do it with the free version but gave up after a few
days of trying - there are both license and technological hurdles with
that). Here is information about my vcexpress2005 branch:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/Journal/VisualC2005ExpressEdition

So I wanted to get your opinion on how we should proceed:

1) Forget hilo, we'll just use the slow haleakala
2) Find a place to get the older Visual Studio and install it on hilo
3) Switch to Visual Studio 2005
4) Something else, please describe

--
  Heikki Toivonen