[Chandler-dev] Yet another proposal for Chandler plugins

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Thu Feb 15 10:59:11 PST 2007

Philippe Bossut wrote:
> Since I initially gave a "+1" to  the proposal of yanking out the
> plug-ins, I think I need to give my 2cts on the current proposal:
> - I think I've been convinced by the thread that taking out the current
> "Experimental" plug ins is not a good idea as it'll hinder potential
> contributors to tinker with code, so I'm taking back my "+1" on that. I
> was wrong.

I just keep on referring to Firefox, sorry :)

FF does not ship with sample extensions, but has basically the same
architecture Andi has proposed. Also, FF extensions are packed as jar
archives (really a zip inside a zip). Yet developers find it easy to
write extensions to Firefox. I still don't see why we would need to be
any different.

> - I don't think we have enough time to implement Andi's (most excellent)
> proposal: it's great but too late and Preview's focus is on delivering a
> great end user experience. I'd rather spend time on perf, fit and
> finish, better interop to name a few.

The plugin proposal will actually buy us a little performance, and it
does not seem like that much of work.

So it still has my +1 :)

--
  Heikki Toivonen