[Chandler-dev] Re: Development information and hey! :)

mmmm at osafoundation.org mmmm at osafoundation.org
Wed Feb 14 12:33:30 PST 2007

Hi Viksit,

> Hey Markku,
>
> I kind of faded out end of last year,

This has actually happened to me as well as I am no longer employed by
OSAF. Currently I am working on MRI stuff and this has monopolized my
time for the time being. This is not to say that I have not kept track
of things and might contribute a few hours from here and there in a
longer run.

>  but I was wondering if you might
> direct me to a couple of things.

Sure.

> Firstly, where would you say the
> project is going - I came across the recent book documenting
> Chandler's progress, and frankly, I was slightly disillusioned! :)
> Thoughts on it?

I guess there is a story behind everything. On the subject, it is my
understanding that the automatic tagging is seen as an interesting nice
to have feature but not as part of the core services of the 1.0 release.

This means that you should find people interested and willing to help
you on your work but probably should not expect too much of their time
as they have more urgent things to complete for the coming product
launch. To be sure however, perhaps Philippe can brief you in.

Haven't read the book. Was it good?

> Ok coming to actual questions -
>
> - What might be the status on tagging using MVA? Could you perhaps
> direct me as to how to get started and perhaps add on to it? I see
> there's a parcel ready, but things seemed to have changed quite a bit
> in the past few months.

There is a new AutoTags parcel that contains the work that I did last
year. This parcel is not part of the Chandler distribution and you
should download it from
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/Projects/AutoTagsProject. There is not
much documentation on the subject, the parcel doc that I worked on might

be of interest to you, but you should easily get started just by reading

the code. At the moment there are two ways of classifying objects. One
uses KNN on search results and the other "find similar items" feature in

Lucene. Both techniques are build on Chandler search functionality,
which frankly wasn't really good at that time. Luckily based on the
discussions on the list there might be improvements coming. These are
working examples (might contain bugs tough) that you can use to get
started. It should also be relatively easy for you to use one of them as

a template for your own projects.

There is also a data set that I used in development. You should consult
Philippe for details.

If you want I can coach you every once in a while on the subject,
discuss about ideas, and to review and to commit your work. Like said I
like to keep in touch but do not have much time to spend on this right
now.

> - Palm and Oracle calendar sync - are people working on that, or are
> those open projects?

I faintly recall something of a sort being mentioned but it is better
that I leave this to the other team members. Feel free to step in...

Cheers,
   Markku