[Chandler-dev] Yet another proposal for Chandler plugins

Ted Leung twl at osafoundation.org
Tue Feb 13 16:33:17 PST 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 02:30 PM 2/13/2007 -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
>> So if we are going to
>> spend additional energy on this, I'd suggest that we spend the energy
>> on things which will help developers build plugins given what we
>> already have.
>
> That's what Andi proposed, actually.  His "Plugins" menu idea is
> something that comes directly out of his own work trying to develop
> plugins for Chandler.  The rest of his proposal basically amounts
> to us running "setup.py register" and an occasional "setup.py sdist
> bdist_egg upload" to upload plugins to CheeseShop.
>
> Oh, and updating the plugins' README files to contain...  wait for
> it...  documentation.  :)
>
> So, it seems to me that your email should be viewed as a big +1 for
> Andi's proposal.  ;)

I think we'll need a nice menu driven ui like the one Andi
proposed.   I just think that it's not a requirement for preview.
The kind of documentation that I think we need is one level above
README's in the demo plugins.   It's stuff like how to use the
blocks, what blocks there are and so on.  At the repository / schema
API level it would include all the stuff that isn't covered in
schema_api.txt, like monitors and indexes and so forth.   We use
these constructs in the plugins that we provide to implement the
app.   We need enough documentation for developers to be successful
at building plugins at similar scale.   So while README's are good,
they aren't nearly enough.

Ted