[Chandler-dev] Yet another proposal for Chandler plugins

Ted Leung twl at osafoundation.org
Tue Feb 13 14:30:45 PST 2007

So I'd like to give my perspective on all this, and it will mean
stepping back from the details.

The original issue was removal of the demo parcels.   I opposed this
because I think that we need the demo parcels to spark the
imagination of users and developers as to the possibilities of
Chandler, beyond the feature set that will ship in Preview.   But
really the audience is for developers, because without them, there
will be no plugins for users to install.   So if we are going to
spend additional energy on this, I'd suggest that we spend the energy
on things which will help developers build plugins given what we
already have.    I am a fan of all the work that has gone into eggs,
and I advocated that we adopt them for Chandler.   But our experience
both at sprints and with interns suggests to me that the biggest
obstacle for developers is documentation, not a better mechanism for
plugin discovery and installation.

So I would submit that if this is our goal, then we ought to spend
our energy on better documentation for developers.

Ted