[Chandler-dev] Re: Modification exporters

Jeffrey Harris jeffrey at osafoundation.org
Fri Feb 9 10:56:40 PST 2007

Hi Phillip,

> Well, you could have a second Translator for that.  Your translator's
> __init__ could create an instance of the other translator and store it
> in your translator.  Then your event exporter could pass items to the
> other translator.
>
> That might be a bit of overkill though, because it seems to me that you
> could probably just call back to the *same* translator (i.e. self), and
> detect whether you should be issuing modification records or regular
> records based on whether the item is a master event or not.

The latter sounds fine for now, but it seems a little iffy for
extensibility.  If we just pass the modification in to be translated, I
think that means all future translators written by parcel writers will
HAVE to distinguish between modifications and non-modifications, or
they'll be asked to translate their stamp and naively emit a normal
record, not a modification record, which I think will be a problem.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey