[Chandler-dev] Removing plugins and what else for Preview?

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Wed Feb 7 11:54:14 PST 2007

Andi Vajda wrote:
> I would suggest doing the same for the plugins. Hide the "Experimental"
> menu and make it show with some ctrl-key combination.
> A .tar.gz of the projects directory excluding pyc/pyo/.svn is 300k in
> size, hardly a big deal from a download standpoint.

The disk/download footprint of the plugins dir is not my main concern
about them.

> I think that eliminating the plugins altogether is counter-productive
> from a developer community building perspective. Anything that makes it
> harder for developers to look at code showing how Chandler can be
> extended is counter-productive.

We have the developer release for developers. What's the point of having
it if we dump everything into the end user release?

> If we were to ship the plugins, even in hidden form, some work remains
> to turn them off. I believe Flickr is active all the time in the
> background. Not good.

The resource usage is my main concern. The mere presence of these things
slows down startup (at least the first startup) and they use up memory
(which is a big problem for us - we use WAAAAY too much memory). Also
plugins that are continuously or periodically active are even worse as
they consume resources even more.

--
  Heikki Toivonen