[Chandler-dev] Removing plugins and what else for Preview?

D John Anderson john at osafoundation.org
Wed Feb 7 11:32:50 PST 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Heikki Toivonen wrote:

> D John Anderson wrote:
>> On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>>> Removing the Test and Experimental menus would be a little bit more
>>> work. Ideally the Experimental menu appeared automatically if
>>> there are
>>> any plugins. The test menu would also need some special handling.
>>> I'd
>>> say this can be done in 3 days.
>>
>> I think I could implement showing or hiding the test menu with a
>> command
>> key in much less than a day
>
> Sure, showing and hiding would be trivial. But I was thinking about
> actually removing all the code that is accessed by the Test menu and
> making it a plugin or something.

I'm not sure it makes sense to remove all the code that is used in
the test menu for Preview. For example, do we want to remove the
"Check repository" code? And removing just the menu items provides
only a trivial savings in space. I suspect that long term it may be
better to conditionally compile out the code in the test menu so we
can make it available to the debug version.

However, it might be worth a pass through the items in the test menu,
removing those that are clearly not useful for development.

John