[Chandler-dev] Re: [chandler-users] Chandler email server connection issues

Brian Kirsch bkirsch at osafoundation.org
Fri Apr 13 17:11:42 PDT 2007

Hi Keith,
See comments inline.

-Brian

On Apr 13, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Keith Winsor wrote:

> Brian Kirsch wrote:
>> Hi Keith,
>> I tested the IMAP account you provided with the latest Chandler
>> build 0.7alpha5 TRUNK.
>>
>> I was able to connect to the server and scan for new mail and
>> download a message
>> with out error.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>>
> Hi Brian,
>
> OK, progress! I set up my IMAP account again, rather than using
> chandler.ini, and the email process now works properly. The only
> oddity is, only mail sent from Chandler appears in Chandlers inbox.
> Other new messages do not appear, although they show up in
> Thunderbird. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Chandler
> will only download mail originating from Chandler, although alpha4
> pulled in the whole inbox?
>
> Can you confirm, so that we can put this one to bed, please?

Yes you are correct things have changed. As part of Preview adoption
strategy we no longer
download all mail from a user's Inbox. Instead we only download mail
sent from another
Chandler client.

However, we have provided a quick way to get non-Chandler mail in to
Chandler and that
is through the "Chandler Folders".

In Chandler, go to the File menu and select "Accounts ...".
Enter the information for your IMAP server in the Incoming
mail text fields then click the Configure Chandler folders button.

This will create three folders on your IMAP server, Chandler Mail,
Chandler Tasks, and Chandler Events.

 From  your Email client you will now see these folders in your
IMAP server account. Depending on your mail client, It may take several
minutes for the folders to appear.

So what doe these folders do?

Chandler Mail - Add messages to this folder to add them to your Mail
Dashboard.
Chandler Tasks - Add messages to this folder to add them to your
Tasks Dashboard.
Chandler Events - Add messages to this folder to add them to your
Event Dashboard.

The basic concept is from your mail client you either copy or move a
message to
one of these folders. Then in Chandler you hit the Sync button.
Chandler will download
all messages in these folders and stamp the items appropriately.

We are in the process of preparing extensive user documentation for
our Preview
release that will cover the steps I mentioned above.