[Chandler-dev] Reload is not import

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Fri Apr 13 13:35:44 PDT 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Morgen Sagen wrote:

> #1 I proposed earlier to solve by creating such out-of-the-box accounts
> outside of //parcels and instead in //userdata so they get dumped like any
> other item.  What I think I left out was that they should be given fixed
> UUIDs so that during reload the user-modified account items will have their
> data applied to the out-of-the-box items (and avoid creating duplicates)
>
> #2 Preferences are handled by explicitly yielding the appropriate records
> within translator.finishExport( )
>
> #3 Is handled by a combination of #1 and #2: the sidebar is given a fixed
> UUID, and also its collection-membership records are explicitly yielded in
> finishExport( )
>
> So reload should mean "start with a fresh repository, load parcels (thereby
> creating out-of-the-box items), then reload dump"

Giving passwords a fixed uuid is the same as saying "everyone gets the same
password". If that is not the case, then there is a contradiction somewhere.
If, for example, I send a password item around, I do not want mine to have the
same UUID as yours. But, you're going to say "we'll never do that". If
passwords are items then someone is going to eventually. Really, fixed uuids
should be used with care and with the meaning "two items with the same uuid
are the same item, universally (the U in UUID)".

Andi..