[Chandler-dev] Sharing tests switched to Chandler Hub Sharing (morse code)

Morgen Sagen morgen at osafoundation.org
Wed Apr 11 21:13:11 PDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:16 PM, Heikki Toivonen wrote:

> We switched functional and performance tests to use Chandler Hub
> Sharing
> (morse code) today. When do we plan on making this the default in the
> accounts dialog?

When the bugs and Cosmo-interop issues are worked out and when
osaf.us is running Cosmo 0.6.1.

> It seems Chandler Hub Sharing is about twice as slow as the old
> sharing
> code. Looking more closely, Chandler spends a lot of time in the
> sharing
> progress dialog where the status reads "Checking for local changes"
> - it
> seems like almost all of the additional time is spent at this point.
> This is the slow code:
>
>             for change in rv.mapHistory(version):
>                 changedUuid = change[0]
>                 if changedUuid in self.share.contents:
>                     locallyChangedUuids.add(changedUuid)

Quite similar code *is* run in the old style syncing; it's in
utility.py:localChanges( ).  It's simply asking the repository for
what items have changed since an earlier version.

> How come we do this with Chandler Hub Sharing, but not with the old
> sharing code?

See above.

> Why is this code slow, and can it be made faster?

I've only just started profiling this, and I'm still mostly focused
on Cosmo interop issues.  Yesterday I started a wiki page for
tracking this:

http://wiki.osafoundation.org/Projects/SharingPerformance

...linked to from the Sharing project page:

http://wiki.osafoundation.org/Projects/SharingProject