[Chandler-dev] Sharing tests switched to Chandler Hub Sharing (morse code)

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Wed Apr 11 21:11:48 PDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Heikki Toivonen wrote:

> We switched functional and performance tests to use Chandler Hub Sharing
> (morse code) today. When do we plan on making this the default in the
> accounts dialog?
>
> It seems Chandler Hub Sharing is about twice as slow as the old sharing
> code. Looking more closely, Chandler spends a lot of time in the sharing
> progress dialog where the status reads "Checking for local changes" - it
> seems like almost all of the additional time is spent at this point.
> This is the slow code:
>
>            for change in rv.mapHistory(version):
>                changedUuid = change[0]
>                if changedUuid in self.share.contents:
>                    locallyChangedUuids.add(changedUuid)
>
> How come we do this with Chandler Hub Sharing, but not with the old
> sharing code? Why is this code slow, and can it be made faster?

One way to make this faster is to use mapHistoryKeys() instead of
mapHistory(). mapHistory() does quite a bit more work to provide all the
information it returns but none of it but the UUID is used by the code
above.

Still, mapHistory() shouldn't be noticeably slower than mapHistoryKeys()
unless there is a bug somewhere. Heikki, do you have a .stats file that I
could look at to see if indeed mapHistory() is the culprit here ?

Andi..