[Chandler-dev] Performance!

Katie Capps Parlante capps at osafoundation.org
Tue Apr 10 11:49:06 PDT 2007

Congratulations everyone on hitting the FC milestone.

I wanted to reiterate Philippe's comment about focusing on performance.
Now is the time to speed up the app. Focusing on performance is very
important -- an unresponsive app is the desktop's biggest risk right
now. There is no one silver bullet fix, so this challenge is going to
take effort from everyone on the team.

Sheila, Mimi and others are going to be scanning the app and logging
bugs during this phase, but that doesn't mean we should stop and fix all
those bugs yet. There will be time for that after we address performance.

It *is* important to stop and fix:
- Bugs that block dogfooding or testing. We should mark these as
"blocker" or "critical".
- Interop bugs with cosmo/eim (as we want to get this right for the
upcoming Cosmo 0.6.1 release)

I've seen a lot of conversations and activity around performance, which
is great. I'm confident we'll tackle this and end up with a much
snappier app.

Cheers,
Katie