[Chandler-dev] Thunderbird will support account settings autodiscovery for some webmail accounts

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Mon Apr 9 21:41:07 PDT 2007

http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/04/thunderbirdqa_0409

"A lot of users want to check their web-mail accounts using a desktop
client, but they don't know all the information necessary to connect.
For instance, with Gmail you need to know the server names in addition
to your login information. We wanted to make the process easier for
users, so we've provided Gmail integration using just an e-mail address.
All the user has to do is enter their e-mail address and password and
Thunderbird will figure out the server details for them.

For the Mac version, we've provided the same one-step integration with
.Mac. We plan to add more web-mail services and even ISP providers in
future releases. In the meantime, it's possible for developers to write
extensions for other popular web e-mail providers."

--
  Heikki Toivonen