[Chandler-dev] Re: [commits] (john) [13881] Update dialogs so we don't need to pass around the unnecessary parent or id arguments.

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Mon Apr 9 20:38:55 PDT 2007

> Use wx.MessageBox instead of the less conveient application.dialog.Utils
> equivalents

I don't think this was a good change. wx.MessageDialog has several
problems, which is why we used custom dialogs to begin with.

First, wx.MessageDialog is parented on the application. This means that
if you display a wx.MessageDialog from the accounts dialog, for example,
the wx.MessageDialog can be buried under the accounts dialog.

Second, wx.MessageDialog is always centered on screen. We want dialogs
to be centered on parent, chandler main frame, or leave it for the OS to
decide, depending on situation - never centered on screen.

Third, wx.MessageDialog does not let us put an icon for the window,
meaning you generally have no idea which application put up the
wx.MessageDialog.

For these reasons I'd like to roll back this checkin, or alternatively,
get all instances of wx.MessageDialog changed to our custom dialogs.

--
  Heikki Toivonen