[Chandler-dev] [Sum] Feb 19 - 25

Katie Capps Parlante capps at osafoundation.org
Fri Apr 6 22:00:44 PDT 2007

Build, Release and QA
---------------------
*Weekly checkpoint*
Bear spins:
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/chandler-dev/2007-February/007754.html
Dan tests:
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/chandler-dev/2007-February/007761.html

*Password Encryption*
Heikki argued that Chandler should have a feature to encrypt the
passwords it stores (e.g. for mail, sharing accounts). The feature would
ask the user to create a master password, which is never stored on disk.
Heikki pointed out that password encryption is helpful if we ask
dogfooders to send repositories for debugging purposes. Should we
encrypt by default? Offer as an option in accounts dialog and on
dump/reload? Allow users to encrypt arbitrary items/fields? Encrypt in
memory? He pointed out that many an OS offers password safes (e.g. OS X
keychain) -- he's not proposing that for Preview as that would be too
much work.
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/chandler-dev/2007-February/007757.html

*Email servers for testing*
Dan pondered which email services and servers we should test against. He
listed out the top 10 free services, as well as the top 10 servers used.
Testing against the free services isn't so hard; getting good test
coverage against the servers is a little more tricky. We don't have
resources to setup all 10 servers.
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/chandler-dev/2007-February/007762.html

Brian Kirsch agreed that setting up the servers would be ideal if we had
no resource constraints. Getting going with the list of services listed
will at least get us some varying coverage of different servers. He
noted Yahoo POP mail is not free, but we have an account to test with.
He also mentioned Exchange, which we should make a point of testing
against. OSAF's IT team runs Exchange for other organizations, so could
likely set us up with a test account.
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/chandler-dev/2007-February/007764.html

*Preview QA*
Aparna pointed out that we don't have the staff for detailed, exhaustive
testing of all new features. She offered ideas for hitting a high
quality bar for the Preview release:
(1) Automation -- unit tests for new features
(2) IRC QA sessions -- more eyeballs, more bugs found
(3) Dogfooding -- more people using Chandler for their calendars helps
us test out real use cases
Aparna reminded us that the bugs will be found eventually, and it is to
our advantage to find them sooner. Each new person dogfooding or testing
brings a fresh perspective on usability as well, giving PPD valuable
feedback.
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/chandler-dev/2007-February/007771.html

Meetings, Miscellaneous
-----------------------
Platform team:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/Journal/Platform20070220

QA test session (desktop email):
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/chandler-dev/2007-February/007758.html

Apps team:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Journal/AppsMeeting20070222

Chandler team:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/Journal/EngineeringMeetingNotes20070222

Jason LaChappelle just finished "Dreaming in Code" and asked some
questions about earlier architecture choices, and Heikki responded.
Davor pointed out that a recent blog entry gives a more up-to-date
picture of the project.
http://wp.osafoundation.org/2007/01/05/where-we-are-today-osaf-after-dreaming-in-code/
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/chandler-dev/2007-February/007760.html