[Chandler-dev] Localizing English

Brian Kirsch bkirsch at osafoundation.org
Fri Apr 6 17:06:49 PDT 2007

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to share my two cents.

See comments below.

-Brian

On Apr 6, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Philippe Bossut wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jeffrey Harris wrote:
>> So one way or another, I'm in favor of not filing many bugs for
>> text-only changes.  I do have a slight preference for NOT using an EN
>> translation, because my strategy when trying to find the code that
>> gives
>> a particular message is often to search for the string I see.  But
>> that's a tiny issue, I could turn off the translation when debugging.
>> Whatever's easier for the PPD team.
>>

> I think that devs should run with no translation and use the "geek
> speak" version which, again, is a very good approximation of
> English (tongue firmly planted in cheek...).
>
> Another advantage though to having a po file for English is that
> last minute changes in code strings will effectively break *every*
> existing localized po. This is not a problem right now (since we
> have none) but, in the future, it will.

I see this as the big advantage to Philippe's proposal.

Since the English strings in code are the keys used to generate
localizations.
Once those keys are published (generating a .pot and distributing to
translators to create .po's) ,
they must never change. That type of inflexibility is hard to work with.

Lets say at a later point after Preview's release, English users
provide feedback that
the text in a dialog is confusing. Well the keys can't change so
either we have to
go with an en.po anyways or the simple ignore user feedback. The
later is certainly
undesirable.

Future Chandler releases must also be backwards compatible in respect
to localizations.
Translators will merge existing .po's with newly generated .pot's. So
the old keys must remain
unchanged.

Of course having the en.po has other advantages as Philippe detailed,
such as
allowing Mimi to edit one file outside of code.

This is why I think it is a good idea.

If we have done our job right, the en.po only contain localizations
of a few
English key strings.

-Brian