[Chandler-dev] Localizing English

Philippe Bossut pbossut at osafoundation.org
Fri Apr 6 16:34:26 PDT 2007

Hi,

Jeffrey Harris wrote:
> So one way or another, I'm in favor of not filing many bugs for
> text-only changes.  I do have a slight preference for NOT using an EN
> translation, because my strategy when trying to find the code that gives
> a particular message is often to search for the string I see.  But
> that's a tiny issue, I could turn off the translation when debugging.
> Whatever's easier for the PPD team.

I think that devs should run with no translation and use the "geek
speak" version which, again, is a very good approximation of English
(tongue firmly planted in cheek...).

Another advantage though to having a po file for English is that last
minute changes in code strings will effectively break *every* existing
localized po. This is not a problem right now (since we have none) but,
in the future, it will.

Having an "en" resource will allow Mimi (or anybody for that matter...)
to tweak and fix English UI wording even after localization started.

Cheers,
- Philippe