[Chandler-dev] New test running tool: rt.py

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Mon Apr 2 22:01:02 PDT 2007

Andi Vajda wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>> Some reasons I have for preferring ./tools/rt.py to run system python:
>>
>> * tools should not depend on Chandler unless they have to
>> * In case Chandler is so borked that python won't run properly I want rt
>> still to function (tbox will rely on this) - think about case where
>> chandler python hangs on startup
>> * I want rt.py to run fast, using python release bits - which would not
>> work if you did make install DEBUG=1
>> * I don't think you can put Chandler python on the bang line in
>> $CHANDLERBIN/(debug|release)/RunChandler(.bat) format
>
> We should have only one way of running rt.pt and that is: rp rt.py
> Requiring a second python is frivolous, especially on Windows.

Nothing is stopping you from doing just that (except on Windows we have
this ctypes bug to fix first).

Making rt.py depend on Chandler would make no sense. rt.py is just a
convenience driver for the tests. You can always run any test you want
without rt.py. We can not have just one way of running tests even if we
wanted to.

--
  Heikki Toivonen