[Chandler-dev] New test running tool: rt.py

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Apr 2 20:34:09 PDT 2007

At 09:57 PM 4/2/2007 -0400, Mike Taylor wrote:
>Chandler's Python is not compiled with ctypes which is now needed.
>Cygwin people will have to upgrade to Python 2.5 from Cygwin.

I'm confused.  If ctypes is needed, why aren't we compiling it?  And what
does Cygwin's Python have to do with anything?  (I specifically keep mine
at 2.3 in order to do setuptools testing, and AFAIK Cygwin's package
manager doesn't support having multiple installed Python versions.)

It seems kind of strange that we should be requiring people to install a
second version of Python in order to support a tool we added that requires
part of the stdlib that we don't build...  I mean, why go out of our way to
patch Python *not* to build part of its standard library, just so we can
then make people have to install another whole copy of Python, separately?

(Note, by the way, that *not* building ctypes potentially breaks other
parts of the stdlib - the new Python "uuid" module uses it, for example.)