[Chandler-dev] Re: Chandler in French and in Finnish!
mmmm at osafoundation.org
Tue Sep 12 10:41:33 PDT 2006
Philippe Bossut wrote:
> Markku Mielityinen wrote:
>> I was also supposed to write a small tutorial about my work, see bug
>> 6657, but as Philippe already beat me to the punch (only by a day), I
>> think that I am going to improve the wiki page that Philippe already
> Please do! That's the idea (it's a Wiki after all). Plus you're doing
> the work on Windows while I'm doing it on Mac.
> So far though, I have to say that the process has been incredibly
> easy... :)
Yup, I have finished my current translation work, which took one working
day. The development tools that Brian made for automatic building of
translation eggs really make that part very easy. Also the XRC pipe that
I and Robin worked on seems to work perfectly. However, there are a
couple of things that I want to raise here:
1) The generated pot file contains a lot of duplicate entries which
unnecessarily take time when translating and they also prevent the use
of GNU gettext tool package.
2) There are some duplicate entries due to differences in letter
capitalization. At some point we might want to consider unifying these
3) There are still strings in source code that should be translated,
i.e. wrapped inside _(). For example displayName and startTime in the
header and Test menu, which we on the other hand might not want to
translate for other reasons.
4) There are strings that are currently wrapped inside _() when they
should not be. The correct way to enter non-translated strings is to
use _T() wrapper. For example ":", ":." etc.
5) Accelerated keys are currently wrapped in _() blocks. Whereas the
accelerated keys are typically localized, it is currently hard for the
translator to localize these in a consistent manner. Hence, we might
want to reconsider if localizing then, at least at this point, is a good
6) There is some inconsistency in the way Show/Hide vs Hide/Show is
used. Perhaps we should choose one, Show/Hide, and use this order in all
7) There is still some polishing to do: fixing typos and improving the
structure of some sentences. But hey, who is counting at this point...
In addition Philippe noticed that:
8) Building "MyTasks", "My..." by catenation of "My" and "..." does not
work for many locales.
These are the experiences from our first (tentative) translations. To
sum it all up, I would say that Chandler is now 90-95% localized,
excluding the extension parcels, and the remaining work to increase this
to 100% is not large. Please feel free to post any comments that you see
related to the topic.
More information about the chandler-dev