[Chandler-dev] Python 2.5?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Nov 30 16:33:10 PST 2006

At 04:17 PM 11/30/2006 -0800, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>My main gripe, as usual, is that it
>would once again push further the time when we could use the platform
>Python to run Chandler (at least on Linux).

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that this isn't going to happen any
time soon anyway, so I wouldn't let that stop us.  Besides, if Chandler is
cool and popular perhaps this will push the vendors to add 2.5 support
sooner.  ;)

>More information about Python 2.5 is here:
>http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/
>
>So, there are some options available for us:
>
>1) Upgrade and require 2.5
>2) Upgrade to 2.5 but let Chandler still run with 2.4
>    - this would require some version dependent imports for files that
>wanted to use certain 2.5 features
>3) Don't upgrade
>
>Personally I am slightly in favor of 2) because of the possibility of
>using the system Python on Linux. My second choice is 1).

-1 for #2, it just expands our testing and support issues
+1 for #1.

>If we decide to upgrade, I think we should aim to do it in alpha5.
>
>Also, I think we should switch to Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express
>edition as the compiler on Windows.

Does that include an optimizing compiler?  I thought that certain of the
"free" compilers didn't include optimization support.