[Chandler-dev] smtp problem - possible hint?

Reid Ellis rae at osafoundation.org
Thu Nov 23 18:48:39 PST 2006

Jeffrey mentioned on IRC that he had seen tinderbox problems relating
to SMTP. I just had mail bounced from my Linux box here at home and
the reason may relate to the tinderbox problem.

I got this in my bounced email to Philippe:

	<pbossut at osafoundation.org>: host laweleka.osafoundation.org
[204.152.186.98]
	    said: 504 <tnir>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified
hostname (in
	    reply to RCPT TO command)

My /etc/postfix/main.cf had its "hostname" parameter set to just
"tnir" instead of "tnir.org". I've fixed it to be "tnir.org" now.
We'll see if my mail goes through the second time..

Could Chandler's "HELO" command in the SMTP session be using a non-
fully-qualified domain name?

The next question is - which end is at fault? Will there be other
servers configured to be equally restrictive? Or is laweleka being
overly negative about the whole thing?

Reid