[Chandler-dev] Re: DefaultValue on displayName: not yet

Morgen Sagen morgen at osafoundation.org
Tue Nov 21 12:16:18 PST 2006

To summarize what we're doing about this:

- Assigning a defaultValue to displayName breaks some sharing code
which maintains backwards compatibility with existing shares
- Removing that sharing code would be required in both trunk and
branch, could cause alpha4 instability, and would break existing shares
- Assigning a defaultValue isn't really required anyway, as we can
change the code which was relying on getItemDisplayName( ) to, in
essence, provide a default
- When we move to the new EIM-based sharing, and the old sharing code
is removed, we can re-assess whether displayName needs a defaultValue
- I've already removed calls to getItemDisplayName( ) from my code,
and now John and Bryan are removing the rest
- Andi can then remove the getItemDisplayName( ) API altogether