[Chandler-dev] Re: DefaultValue on displayName: not yet

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Tue Nov 21 08:59:08 PST 2006

On 21 Nov, 2006, at 08:45, Morgen Sagen wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Bryan Stearns wrote:
>
>> In IRC last Thursday (at 15:18 in http://wiki.osafoundation.org/
>> script/getIrcTranscript.cgi?date=20061117), I offered to add a
>> defaultValue (u"") to ContentItem.displayName... unfortunately, I
>> ran into problems:
>>
>> - TestXMLCompatibility.py failed because it still thinks that mail
>> messages have a 'subject' attribute, though we now redirect it to
>> displayName.
>>
>> - It appears that there are several places where 'subject' is
>> special-cased in osaf/sharing/formats.py.
>>
>> - Getting rid of 'subject' looks like a sharing-format change?
>>
>> Because I haven't been able to figure out how to fix the special
>> cases, and since this isn't in the way of any of my alpha5 stuff,
>> I'm going to punt on displayName's defaultValue for now. If you
>> (Morgen) want to take a shot at this along with the other sharing
>> format stuff that's coming up, that'd be great...
>>
>> ...Bryan
>>

> I started looking into this, but I guess I'm a bit confused about
> the 'subject' attribute.  Did it used to be a real attribute, and
> now it's a redirect?  Are we only maintaining 'subject' in the
> sharing XML for backwards compatibility?  (That last one's a
> question for Grant who did some work in this area when we switched
> over to stamping-as-annotations)

AFAIK, it's always been a redirect, but the direction changed (i.e.
MailStamp now redirects to ContentItem, not the other way around).
The comment in the code tries to enforce 'subject' for MailStamp'ed
items. Since we've broken backward compatibility, maybe we should
just never write out redirected attributes (that would cover some
other special cases, too, I think).

--Grant