[Chandler-dev] Re: DefaultValue on displayName: not yet

Morgen Sagen morgen at osafoundation.org
Tue Nov 21 08:45:31 PST 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Bryan Stearns wrote:

> In IRC last Thursday (at 15:18 in http://wiki.osafoundation.org/
> script/getIrcTranscript.cgi?date=20061117), I offered to add a
> defaultValue (u"") to ContentItem.displayName... unfortunately, I
> ran into problems:
>
> - TestXMLCompatibility.py failed because it still thinks that mail
> messages have a 'subject' attribute, though we now redirect it to
> displayName.
>
> - It appears that there are several places where 'subject' is
> special-cased in osaf/sharing/formats.py.
>
> - Getting rid of 'subject' looks like a sharing-format change?
>
> Because I haven't been able to figure out how to fix the special
> cases, and since this isn't in the way of any of my alpha5 stuff,
> I'm going to punt on displayName's defaultValue for now. If you
> (Morgen) want to take a shot at this along with the other sharing
> format stuff that's coming up, that'd be great...
>
> ...Bryan

I started looking into this, but I guess I'm a bit confused about the
'subject' attribute.  Did it used to be a real attribute, and now
it's a redirect?  Are we only maintaining 'subject' in the sharing
XML for backwards compatibility?  (That last one's a question for
Grant who did some work in this area when we switched over to
stamping-as-annotations)

~morgen