[Chandler-dev] Loading developer tools on tinderboxes?

Dan Steinicke dan at osafoundation.org
Mon Nov 20 09:28:20 PST 2006

Here are two suggestions John made to me that I am now passing on the
full group.

(1) Proposal to load dev tools on tinderboxes.  After some recent issues
with the tinderboxes it was proposed that we load the following tools on
all chandler tinderbox machines:
   * install wing on all tinderboxes
   * install Microsoft Visual studio on all windows tinderboxes
   * install GDB on all non-windows tinderboxes

(2) Proposal to run full build debug tests  in the debugger by passing
Chandler the --wing option on start up.  John predicts that this will
cause the tests to run slower by a factor of two or less.

I like these proposals because I believe that they will aid us in
tracking down and fixing some hard to reproduce errors we have been
experiencing.  My main concern is the cost to do this, especially
purchasing MS visual studio.  I have a minor concern about how much
effort it will take to run the tests in the debugger in a continuous
tinderbox style but I believe it is worth giving it a shot and finding
out if this can be done with a modest amount of effort.

I would value hearing others opinions on these ideas.

Dan