[Chandler-dev] Platform team update

Katie Capps Parlante capps at osafoundation.org
Wed Nov 15 17:44:31 PST 2006

Notes from the last two meetings:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Journal/Platform20061114
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Journal/Platform20061031

+ A high level summary of what everyone is working on in α5 and α6 is
captured on the project page:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/DeveloperPlatformProject

+ Andi is looking at upgrades: ICU/PyICU (daylight savings time changes
and character encoding features), possibly BerkeleyDB (get rid of
deadlocks, perf boost), possibly PyLucene (Markku wanted some features).

+ We talked briefly about upgrading to Python 2.5. Heikki will open up a
conversation about this after α4 is wrapped up.

+ We talked about writing unit and functional tests. Grant suggested
doing test driven development with new feature development. Bear
suggested reviewing bugs to look for regression tests that could be added.

+ Morgen noted that the sharing work will require a more close
integration plan with the Cosmo team. We'll need an integrated test
plan, and a plan for transitioning from the old world to the new world.

+ Once we're a bit further along with sharing, domain model, and
recurrence work, we'd like to do design reviews. Grant and I have plans
to work on documentation of the domain model:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Journal/PreviewDomainModelOverview

+ Heikki asked about Grant's work on the problem of making too many
connections when sharing. Morgen observed that the whole pattern will
change with the new format. Grant and Andi thought there might still be
something broken and worth looking at. Morgen will revisit after sharing
changes land (currently captured as bugs 6393 - 6396).

Cheers,
Katie